Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Take Care Owl

Have you ever had an idea that just blossoms in your mind and you're not really sure whether it will work out in the end??  That is exactly what happened with my owl card.  I have been thinking about making a card with an owl on it for a while.  I have several different owl inspiring pictures on my pinterest board, just needed the time to work it out.

This week I had a mind meld of sorts where the idea for my owl card just all of a sudden gelled!  I could not wait to see if the thoughts in my mind would create the owl I had envisioned.

For some reason I thought that the Labels Collection Framelit Dies would be a perfect start to my owl. And to further my thinking, I thought the decorative dots embossing folder would make a great effect for a spotted owl.  To my surprise, everything came together and I was very pleased with the result!


As I mentioned, I used the Labels Collection Framelits die to make the owl base. A tutorial on how I did this is at the end of this post for those interested.  Then I used a smaller label die to make the belly.  I used Early Espresso Core'dination cardstock and embossed the body with the decorative dots embossing folder and then sanded the dots to make the spotted effect.  For the belly, I used very vanilla core'dinations cardstock, but I didn't sand it.

The eyes are 3 circle punches layered and glued together.  I adhered each eye to the card using dimensionals.  For the beak I hand cut a triangle shape and glued it to the body.  Try not to make the beak too big so that it does not show through above the eyes.

The background is the Hardwood background stamp in the Occasions catalog.  I stamped it with Versamark and then embossed with clear embossing folder.  I didn't want the wood background too dark so I thought the clear embossing powder would give a visible yet subtle effect.

The tree branch is from the Take Care stamp set.  I stamped the branch with versamark onto crumb cake cardstock and then used a small spatula to pour gumball green embossing powder on the leaves and the early espresso embossing powder on the branch.  I then heat embossed the whole branch and fussy cut it out.

I really love how this card turned out.  I immediately sent it to a friend who just had a pretty serious surgery.  I hope he liked it!

I made another version of the owl using the Epic Day This and That Designer Series Paper. I wanted one that was more colorful and the epic day paper was perfect for the owl.  I love the chevron belly!  For this owl I didn't make the feet.


I am very excited that the owl turned out how I designed it in my mind!

Stamp sets: Hardwood, Take Care (brown owl); Gorgeous Grunge, Happy Day (gray owl)
Big Shot: Labels Collection Framelit Dies, Decorative Dots embossing folder
Colors: Brown Owl card: Crumb cake, Early Espresso, Gumball Green, Very Vanilla; Gray owl card: Basic Gray, Whisper White, Pool Party, Daffodil Delight, Crumb Cake (base), Gumball Green
Accessories: 1-3/8" circle punch,  3/4" circle punch, Itty Bitty punch pack. Designer Buttons Neutral, Linen Thread, Epic Day This and That Designer Series Paper, Coredinations Neutral Cardstock, Gumball Green embossing powder, Early Espresso embossing powder, white gel pen

OWL TUTORIAL

Cut a 4x4 piece of cardstock using the second largest label die.  Be sure to line the bumps up onthe top and bottom of the cardstock; these will be the ears and feet.


Use the die to draw the scoop out of the head and feet.

For the sides, I just trimmed the points off, creating a little curve on each side.  This was hand-drawn.


Cut out the edges curves to make the owl body.

The belly was cut using the 4th largest label die.  I hand drew the cut-out edges on the belly, trying to keep close to the intended shape.

I used the owl body to trace the area of the belly where the feet are located.

This was the end result.  Be sure to do any embossing before you glue the pieces together.  I use Tombow Multipurpose glue to adhere the pieces together.



No comments:

Post a Comment